The following tips helped me improve my spoken English and overcome my hesitation in the language. Hope they are useful for you too.
- Don’t worry about making mistakes because you will.
- Be patient. This isn’t a one day process.
- Learn certain phrases that can be used in multiple situations.
- Learn how to greet someone properly.
- Talk slowly and carefully. Don’t rush through your sentences.
- Restrict yourself to simple sentences until you gain confidence.
- Watch out for your pronunciation. Many online tools will tell you how to pronounce a word correctly. Check one of them out when you’re in doubt.
- Carefully observe how proficient speakers of the language pronounce words and frame their sentences.
- Ask your friends, relatives and anyone you can to point out your mistakes and correct them.
- Speak to them in English only. Practice is a must.
- Record yourself reading one article aloud every day. Focus on pronunciation, speed, clarity and emphasis.
- Many online sites offer you the opportunity to voice chat with another user. This is an effective way to practice.
- Learn at least one new word every day and use it as a part of your conversation with people. By the end of the week, you should know seven words really well.
- Learn new words everyday
- Read at least one article of your choice aloud every day.
- Watch English movies with subtitles.
- Watch English shows.
- Read books and magazines.
- Keep a pocket dictionary handy for any word you may need to know the meaning of.
- When you hear a new word, try to find its usage and its antonyms.
Best of luck!